4thFest is organized by 600+ volunteers working year round. Each year, these volunteers—your friends, colleagues, and neighbors—spend approximately 13,000 man-hours planning, developing, and executing to make 4thFest possible. If you’re interested in joining this dynamic team, we would love to find you a position that utilizes your talents and interests. Whether you can offer 5 hours or 50, we would love to have you on the 4thFest team!
Firecracker 4k & 4M Race
- Route marshals
- Registration and Race Pack coordinators
- Pace Timers
- Water Station assistants
- Timing Chip Collectors
Independence Day Parade
- Giant Balloon Handlers – walk with a giant balloon through the parade (time: 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.)
- Parade Route Guides – helping with crowd control, flow of the parade, answer spectator questions
- Parade Clean Up – assist with post-parade cleanup
4th of July Party
- Help needed with stage support, special performer parking lot gate monitors, tear down, etc.
- 2 hour time slots; help especially needed from 4 p.m. on. Entertainment Area (lots near BJC & Beaver Stadium).
- Kids’ Craft Tent (BJC Parking Lot)
- Additional 10–15 volunteers (ages 13 & up) needed from 3:00–8:00 p.m.
- Assist kids with patriotic crafts (craft kits), face painting, temporary tattoos, etc.
July 5th Cleanup
Volunteers: 50 needed from 8:00am until noon
The day after the 4th is a day of returning the Penn Sate campus to the pristine condition that we found it before our event started. A huge crowd usually leaves behind some residue when they leave. We all pitch in to work on the cleanup detail. Some of the team members have been volunteering for two weeks to get the show ready to go. New people on cleanup day are most welcome. Come prepared to dig in and join the trashiest folks in the valley for 4 or 5 hours. Cleanup begins at 8:00 at the fireworks office trailer.